April 22, 2013

Brussel Sprouts with Homemade Tomato Sauce

Hey lovelies, I've been off for a few days, letting the comic book artist in the family work on his colouring... I've been dying to write some new posts. So first of all I wanted to share a new recipe with you! I have been really inspired by raw cooking. I've been reading up on it lately and I'm really interested on how it works. For those of you that don't know, I will put it into simple terms, eating raw means you don't cook anything. For added texture items can be dehydrated, but not cooked. The diet is mainly vegetable and nut based. It's so interesting and even if you're not going there with your meal plans, you should do some research because it's pretty cool.

Brussel Sprouts with Homemade Tomato Sauce
This dish is by no means a fully raw dish. It's only raw inspired. I cooked two items in here. I'm trying to get my diet back on track! There always seems to be a holiday or party where we have to celebrate and a lot of food ends up being eaten. I'm taking my health back. 
This recipe was made just for me! Double it up for two people.

Ingredients
1/2 large tomato (or 1 small)
1/2 cup red pepper
1/3 cup onion
8 brussel sprouts
3 pieces of marinated artichoke
2 tsp oregano or to taste
cheese of your choice

Alright so first of all cut your brussel sprouts in half and place them in a steamer, ready to go. Next chop up your tomato, red pepper and onion into little pieces. You can mix the tomato and onion. Keep the red pepper separate, because we will be sticking them in the oven. 
Now cut up your artichokes. They come in a jar almost like pickled items, but they are marinated in spices and oil. Yummy. Chop those into small pieces as well just to add a bit of flavour to the dish. Add that into your tomatoes and onion. Now mix in your oregano. Let that all sit together while the brussel sprouts are steaming. 
Keep checking your brussel sprouts while they steam. They wont need very long, especially since they've been cut in half. They should turn a pretty, bright shade of green. 
While your brussel sprouts are still in the steamer, your chopped red pepper will need to go in the oven, to be sweetened. Put them on a pan covered with oil. Stick them in there at 350 degrees F. They should only need about five to eight minutes, but watch them carefully so they don't burn. 
When everything is done, turn off your steamer and put the brussel sprouts in a dish. Turn off your oven and mix the red pepper with the tomato mixture. Now pour the contents of that bowl onto the plate of brussel sprouts like a thick, chunky, clean sauce. Now grate your cheese over top with your desired amount.
Now it's ready to eat!
I really enjoyed this recipe. It was simple to make, and it tasted really hearty with the brussel sprouts, but still light and fresh. I don't think I could ever pull off a completely raw diet. I love to cook too much. But if I can incorporate a dish here and there that's inspired by a clean raw diet to help my body out once in a while, that's great!  
 Thanks for reading!


Marissa
CharmingShop





No comments:

Post a Comment